Our History of Innovations
MKS Instruments has a proud history of innovations and inventions that have shaped the evolution of the key industries we serve. We hold over 600 patents, our team includes more than 500 degreed scientists and engineers, and we have a long history of "best product" awards.
Our ability to understand customers' strategic objectives and apply leading edge science, engineering and technology has led consistently to breakthroughs that have changed what is possible.
MKS Instruments, Inc. was founded in Massachusetts, USA, in 1961 to develop advanced measurement instruments. Our name is derived from this early focus on measuring the basics of distance, weight and time: Meters, Kilos, Seconds. Over the next 20 years, MKS became the global leader in pressure measurement and control solutions with our globally recognized Baratron® capacitance manometers.
In 1980's, we began a process of additional growth through the acquisition of complementary technologies. Over the years from 1986 to the present we have added:
- Vacuum sensors, components and subsystems
- Quadrupole gas analyzers and partial pressure transducers
- Mass-spectrometry-based instruments and systems
- Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectrometer based measurement and control products
- Digital control products
- Web-based hardware and software to enable connectivity, e-diagnostics, APC, multivariate analysis and yield improvement
- Precision, plasma-based reactive gas processing solutions
- Power generators and amplifiers including RF, DC and microwave
- RF matching technology
- Indirect vacuum gauging
- Optical gas analyzers
- Lasers, light sources and photonics
- Motion control
In 1993, MKS achieved ISO9000 certification. Today, our principal manufacturing facilities are located primarily in the United States, China, Mexico, Korea, Germany, the United Kingdom and Israel.
In 1999, MKS became a publicly owned company. We are listed on the NASDAQ National Market under the ticker symbol MKSI.